Friday, August 7, 2009

My Own Egyptian Jewelry and Artwork

The last few weeks have proven to be filled with many opportunities to draw and create ancient Egyptian jewelry and clothing. I have provided some pictures of my mini (and not so mini) projects:

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^My sister needed some extra hands when she was busily sewing and putting pieces together for Metropolis' production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. I remembered our conversation as we sat waiting for Emily Teeter to begin a lecture at the Oriental Institute: we discussed some design ideas for Pharaoh's cape; I offered that she implement Nekhbet or Horus because he's an Elvis-like Egytian king. My sister liked the idea and several months later I began creating it (as I watched Ghostbusters I and II), with my sister creating the pattern and me sketching and painting the design, paying close attention to symmetry.

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^One of the Youth Reference librarians with whom I work asked me to make a few shrinky dinks designs so that she could use them as examples for when she taught her Shrinky Dinks class in early July. This was my second design, but first successful shrinky dink (the one below is version II, the first version having folded in on itself; that became an example of what an unsuccessful shrinky dink looks like). Using Berol Prismacolor art pencils, I drew within the cartouche my name spelled in New Kingdom hieroglyphs (if you have a keen eye, you'll notice I forgot a glyph).

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^As I mentioned above, this pectoral Shrinky Dink is my second attempt; the first one didn't uncurl and stayed folded. My inspiration for this Shrinky Dink comes from one of Tutankhamun's pectorals. Where his names would have been, I put my name in Egyptian hieroglyphs (a play on Nefertiti's names...that is totally not big-headed of me lol). Again, I used Berol Prismacolor art pencils, as they work very well.

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^Using Berol Prismacolor art pencils and drawing inspiration from Tutankhamun's earrings, I created this pair of Shrinky Dink earrings. My sister, who has pierced ears unlike myself, tried them on and they work perfectly.

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^Inspiration for this last one, also colored using Prismacolor art pencils, comes from two of Sesostris III's pectorals (one for the vulture and another for the hieroglyphic lettering). I made this to give to a friend that was getting ready to go into the Air Forces. Tomorrow it will probably be on a plane to Texas where my friend is going through boot camp. Notice the hieroglyphs "Lord of the Sky." It is ment to be a memento, something to remember me by.

© 2009 Jenny Hale

^All of my Shrinky Dink creations together.

No comments:

Post a Comment