Thursday, November 5, 2009

Tutankhamun Finder's Home on Show

Originally published November 4, 2009 | BBC News | by Yolande Knell

After many curious inquiries by tourists, Carter's home away from home, the abode where he studied and cataloged everything to do with his recent discovery in the Valley of the Kings 87 years ago to the day (well, yesterday), has been renovated and opened to the public as a museum.

Needless to say, I'd probably be teary-eyed were I to visit the place. I get that way even in ordinary history museums, for goodness sake! I remember standing before a glass case that housed pewter 17th century dinnerware, so enamored by and lost in the grooves ensconced in the plates that pirates had made with their knifes. I thought, "Wow, real pirates had made those marks." Imagine how I'd react to standing over tools Carter used to poke around in Tutankhamun's tomb! I'm looking forward to visiting this in person when I finally get myself to Egypt.

No comments:

Post a Comment